Monday, May 28, 2007

Longest trip so far!

I'd planned to take the day off today, but the forecast was bad for the whole day, and it was raining in the morning. The schizophrenic that I am (not really!) I was in two minds whether to stay home or go to work. After the others had left for work and school, I decided to stay and see if there would be a big enough gap in the showers for me to do a ride.

In less than an hour the rain stopped, and the sun started to show itself. I began checking the route to some friends' house (K&K), about 19 kms away. Then I rang them, and though they were home, K said they were busy cleaning their windows. So then I considered plan B.

Plan B was to head west and see how far the weather and my legs would allow me to go, bearing in mind that I had to get back too. Eventually I got out into the countryside, which was nice at first, but the traffic was just roaring by, in both directions. So I turned off up a gravel road, and found a nice quiet spot, and there on the hill was this semi-detached house, looking all peaceful.



I went a bit further, but the road turned into a mere forest track, so I thought I'd head back, I'd come far enough.

The ride back was uneventful - except for one event: a thunderstorm up ahead produced a nice rainbow! I felt no more than a few spots, but I could see how much rain I'd missed as I progressed towards the centre. There were large pools at road junctions, which I had to drive through, or in fact I was able to go round the edge and avoid the deepest parts.

On this trip I made several firsts: it was the first time it was warm enough to wear shorts, and thus the first time my knees got a bit sunburnt; I broke my speed record: 55.5 kph (34.5 mph)! I did my longest trip so far: 61 kms (38 miles).

No comments: